For one of my audio assignments for the week, I chose to do “Emotions through Sound.” I figured this would be a good one to start with in order to learn how to upload, clip, merge sounds, etc. I wanted to convey a sense of calmness, or peace. I picked four different sounds which I found on a website called pdsounds which I will link below in the tutorial. These sounds were (1) rain on a window, (2) birds chirping in the morning , (3) animals in a rain forest and (4) waves on a pebble beach. I felt they convey a sense of calmness and peace in the listener. Here is how I did this assignment:
- I searched on Google for audio files which I could download, and I found pdsounds. They offer a vast library of various audio files.
- I searched the pdsounds website for audio files which I felt depicted the emotion I wished to convey.
- Download the audio files to your desktop.
- I used Audacity to create this audio assignment. (Super helpful, and somewhat easy to use program.)
- Import all 4 audio files to Audacity.
- Use the “Selection Tool” to highlight the select times in the individual files you would like to use.
- After selecting the sections, click the “Trim Audio” button. Repeat steps 6 & 7 for the remaining audio files you’ve uploaded.
- At this point, you can move the different audio segments around into a certain order using the “Time Shift Tool”.
- When finished, go to “File”, then “Export Audio”. Save as an MP3 file.
- Upload to SoundCloud and publish for everyone to listen!
I think I did well on this, it being my first Audio Assignment for the class. I hope you all enjoy, and feel a great sense of peace while listening!