For my final Web Assignment of the week, I am completing the required assignment Storytelling Within The Web:
From the Spring 2011 ds106 class came the idea of changing up an existing web page to tell a new story” you will be intervening in the code and design of a website of your choice to tell a story. You are not to photoshop the design of the site, but rather intervene in the actual html and CSS of the site—though you can photoshop particular images on the site. Essentially you alter the content of a web page (content, images) to make it tell a new story. Originally we recommended doing this using the Firebug extension in the Firefox browser, which does work, but is unfortunately easy to lose your work. We currently recommend Mozilla Hackasaurus — install the X-Ray Googles in any browser and use it to re-cast the content of any web page. When you blog it, include both a screen capture in your post, but you will also need to upload the web files (HTML and media files) to your own site so it can exist as a stand alone URL. (see our olderFirebug Tutorial) Consider using news sites, social media profiles, product pages, movie review pages etc. The simpler the design of the page, the easier it will be (think Craig’s List).
To be honest, I was completely confused and scared by this assignment, so I saved it until today to complete. However, I found this incredible tutorial created by Daniel Adams, a past DS106 students. He made a video on his blog that is simple and easy to understand, which perfectly explains how to complete the assignment. I completed the assignment given the instruction he provides in the tutorial video.
In honor of Homecoming Weekend and school spirit, I decided to alter the content of my Instagram profile web page to resemble that of our new school mascot, Mandaalynnn the Eagle! Below is the original web page and then the altered webpage.
I made several changes to my original web page in order to achieve the final product. I will list them below:
- Change profile image to that on our Mary Wash eagle mascot.
- Change username from “mandaalynnn” to “mandaalynnn the eagle”.
- Edited the About Me/Bio section to reflect the new name, important dates and info. (1908- Year MWC/UMW was founded; Pro Deo Domo Patria– UMW’s motto; UMW main website)
- Alter the number of posts and followers (1908 total posts, and 5,000 followers for the approximate number of undergrad and graduate students that attend UMW).
- Change the three most recently posted images to UMW appropriate images (university seal and logo, Lee Hall).